WHO confirms H5N1 cases in Egypt, Vietnam
Dec 28, 2007 (CIDRAP News) – The World Health Organization (WHO) today confirmed three human cases of H5N1 avian influenza in Vietnam and Egypt, one of which was fatal, raising the global H5N1 count to 346 cases with 213 deaths.
In Vietnam, a 4-year-old boy from the northern province of Son La died of an H5N1 infection Dec 16, the WHO said. He fell ill Dec 7 and was hospitalized on the 11th. His case was first reported by news services on Dec 26.
The boy's source of exposure is under investigation, the WHO said. His close contacts are being monitored, and all remain healthy so far, the agency reported.
Two women in Egypt are being treated for H5N1 disease, the WHO said. One is a 50-year-old from Domiatt governorate who was hospitalized Dec 24 and is in critical condition. The other is a 22-year-old chicken seller from Menofia governorate; she was hospitalized Dec 26 and is in intensive care but recovering, the WHO reported.
"Both women had contact with sick and dead poultry prior to illness onset," the agency said. News services first reported their cases yesterday.
Vietnam has had 101 confirmed H5N1 cases with 47 deaths, while Egypt has had 41 confirmed cases, 16 of them fatal.